Saturday, September 24, 2011

Birthday




A picnic with my classmates by the canal. Stunningly beautiful day. We shared food and songs in the grass by the boats. Nationalities represented: French, Italian, Portuguese, Bolivian, English-Iraqi, English-Irish, Canadian, Colombian.

Now, the great thing about celebrating with all these cultures, is I get to hear about all these other birthday traditions. For example my Bolivian friend tells me that once everyone has sung Happy Birthday, the birthday girl or boy has to "bite the cake" ("bite it, bite!" would be the chant translated). The key of course is to sneak in your bite before your friends get to do this:


A perhaps more elegant addition to the birthday festivities comes from my Greek classmate who sang me the greek birthday song- which is not at all like the one we know. Different tune and everything. But I love it- more like a wish or a blessing for one's life than a celebration of the single day:

May you live a long life
and grow old
with white hair.
May you grow wise
and wherever you are
spread the light of wisdom
that everyone may say, there
is a wise person.

A rough translation. I know everybody scoffs at the white hair bit, but it sounds like a lovely eventuality to me. I'd rather embrace aging on a day that marks it than fear or mock it. Certainly has the potential for a lifelong mindshifting.

Thank you all, family and friends old and new for sending me so much love and good wishes on my birthday. I am indeed a very lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment