Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nuit Blanche

This weekend the most important event was seeing my friend Carolyn who is here working forStella McCartney for Fashion Week. Our visit had nothing to do with that, but it's a wonderfully glamourous excuse to see each other.

On my way home, I biked home through the various events of Paris' "Nuit Blanche" which is an all-night city-wide celebration of modern art. More on that here.
But without too much explanation, I offer a few of the visions I saw on this curious night of all-out art.

"Black Cloud" by Carlos Amorales

they're made of paper, 30 000 in all
this installation I found stunning. a tangible reverence in the viewers


"Dance (All Night/Paris)" by Melanie Manchot

the film: dancers of all kinds each dancing 'to the beat of their own drummers'

the same courtyard that night where dancers and participants alike moved to the music being played on headsets distributed to the crowd. similar effect I think as a flash mob

"No Man is an Island II"
a film by Jesper Just
presented in a club called Le Divan du Monde in Montmartre.

You can see this short film 'suspended between drama and humor' reflecting on masculine solitude and identity here.
I watched it twice.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to know that you and Carolyn got together. Hooray for your birthday!
    Will you send me your address?
    Love, Love, Love you! --Freddi

    ReplyDelete