Saturday, September 17, 2011

Apartment Found

The apartment search was dizzying. This shot is from halfway down one of my visits. We all knew Paris likes to keep things small- cafe tables, portions, cars, roads, waistlines and kitchens- for those who remember my last one, among other things. But I still couldn't help but be shocked at the 9m sq 'chambre de bonne' (maid's room) I went to visit. Somehow in these 9m the owner had managed to fit a washing machine, fridge, dishwasher, sink, counter, bunk beds for 2, and a bathtub! These left so little room that even I, small though I may be, felt like I was crowding myself while standing alone. So the lovely little dream of living for the first time completely on my own in a cute little room in the attic of an old parisian building, overlooking rooftops- was not to be.

Instead I have found a lovely ground-floor apartment in the 17e arrondissement. Very close to my friends and not far from the Sacre Coeur. I share it with a young french actor who is absolutely darling. It still won't seem big to most of my American readers, but my bedroom is large enough to walk across and the kitchen has a table that seats 6.

Major selling points:

The building's private courtyard you walk through to come in (my window is on the left)


The typically french window (which I do continue to romanticize) in my bedroom. I have twice now been teased as Juliette.


The fabulous park 2 blocks away that has this, the most awesome carousel I've ever seen. Pigs, flying cars, real bicycles stuck on from who knows where and a perfectly too-big operator. I hope it runs all year.


1 comment:

  1. Think I'd be on the carousel every day. Looks like you have found a great spot.

    ReplyDelete