Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fete des Vendanges

In my experience it is always a good idea to wander out from one's abode on any given Parisian weekend. This past Sunday I meandered up to Montmartre where they were celebrating the Fete des Vendanges which is the Harvest Festival- I think especially referring to the grape harvest which then of course means wine:


I asked the man on the right in this photo about the water boiling contraption below but I'm not sure I could trust the answer he gave with a twinkling eyes about discovering how to boil water only to be informed later that humans had in fact figured this out long ago. And then he gave some anecdote about pulling the beast by the horns out of the water? I could tell no amount of further questioning would bring me to any logical understanding of the thing, so instead I took a photo and wished I still had 3euros for a cup of hot wine.


Apparently there are in fact vineyards in the city tucked up on the hillside of Sacre Coeur- urban farming anyone? And Montmarte is it's own republic with a drum band:


They joined up for one number with the accordionist at the Raclette stand- mmm melting cheese. So the festival consisted mostly of stands where various regions sold their goods- and these were mostly wines but along with the raclette there were several excellently rustic foods to be savored: potatoes and Mont d'Or cheese, Pondarin goat rounds, oysters, escargots, and this very impressive sausage stand where I have to say I thought fondly of Kyle.




As an aside here I am also including this article which a friend recently sent: Lost in Paris. A travel writer describes his experience attempting to rediscover this city he already knows and loves. And, with the exception of his purchase of a 200 euro umbrella, I find myself having many of the same reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment