Sunday, October 30, 2011

Galettes and other good things

Here is a quick recipe I picked up from my flatmate. He comes from Bretagne (Britanny?) so perhaps the recipe does too, but I'm not sure. They are like the swedish oatmeal pancakes my aunt Andrea once introduced to me but you can taste also they're relationship to crepes.

  • EGG one per person
  • CREAM or creme fraiche, creme legere, I've found plain yogurt works well, I bet you could even do soymilk. enough to lighten the egg and not end up with an omelette
  • OATS he used 'son d'avoine' which is somewhere in between oats and oat flour and looks a lot like wheat germ, I have used regular oats, uncooked (but not those hardcore steel-cut, which I don't think would work) or I'm sure any combination thereof. I think really however much you want, depending on the thickness of your (non)dairy
  • optional SUGAR a dash if you feel like it but they're lovely without
Then that's it, beat the ingredients together, pour onto a hot skillet, and cook like pancakes!
I've been cutting and cooking an apple or a pear in the leftover ginger water from making tea and piling that on top. Highly recommended.

I successfully roasted chestnuts at home last week. This time I purchased rather than gathered so as not to poison myself. Very satisfying snack.

Tried chestnut cream/puree with nutella on a hot crepe one rainy day- that was divine.

The bakery around the corner makes the best millefeuilles/'napoleon' I think I've ever had. They forgo the sugar-coat topping and instead caramelize the pastry leaves. Um, yum.

Sorry no photos this round, this entry is for the imagination in your taste buds. And the recipe! Which you should all try and see what good variations we can gather.


1 comment:

  1. “Son d’avoine” is oat bran, at least up here in Montreal. Sounds like serious business, between the lack of leavening and the use of the heartiest part of an already hearty grain. I’m gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete